As the largest volunteer network in the world, existing in over 187 countries, the Red Cross is designed to help people get through emergencies and disasters with emergency services, training, and valuable information that you can use to get through these times in the best way possible. March is American Red Cross Month. In your role as a family caregiver, observing this month is a fantastic opportunity for you to learn more about the potential risks that your aging parent faces and what you can do to help them through these emergency situations or disasters. One such emergency that they might encounter during their later years is an earthquake.
Use these tips to help your parent through an earthquake:
- Make sure that your loved one has an emergency preparedness kit packed and easily accessible so that they are able to utilize it during the earthquake or in the event of an evacuation.
- Create an evacuation plan for your senior that also includes any pets so that if necessary they can get out of the home and to a safer location.
- Remind your parent that doorways are not stronger or more secure than any other location in the home, so they should not rely on this location to provide them with adequate protection during an earthquake.
- When the shaking starts, encourage your parent to get as close to the ground as possible, preferably under a large, sturdy piece of furniture, and hold on tightly.
- Discourage your senior from moving during the earthquake or any aftershocks, as that might cause them to fall and sustain a serious injury.
- Make sure that they protect their head, neck, and torso as much as possible.
- Make your parent aware of the smell of natural gas if they use this type of fuel in their home and tell them that if they do smell this gas, they should get out of the house immediately, get to safe shelter, and contact emergency authorities.
- Your parent should remain in their safe location until the aftershocks are gone.
If you are concerned about your elderly loved one’s ability to handle emergency situations, or have been looking for ways to improve their quality of life and diversity of care, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. An in-home care provider can be a valuable source of support to ensure that your aging loved one gets the care, assistance, and encouragement that they need to handle their individual challenges, limitations, and needs, and to help them through emergency situations that may occur as they age in place. When it comes to helping your elderly loved one get through emergency situations, you can feel confident that this care provider can be with your senior to help them get their emergency preparation plans in place, review these plans regularly, and help them to implement them as necessary. This can help you to feel more confident that your loved one is better equipped to handle potentially dangerous situations in the way that will help them stay safe and healthy as they age in place.
The staff at Home Care Matters is available to talk with you and your family about all of your needs. Home Care Matters is a home care agency providing quality and affordable caregiver services in Oakwood, GA and the surrounding areas. Call (678) 828-2195 for more information.