Elder Care in Braselton GA
The summer months are a fantastic time to get out and enjoy life. If your aging parent is suffering from arthritis, however, they may have difficulty being as involved in activities as they would like to be. Easing arthritis pain and helping them to cope with it is something valuable that you can do for your aging parent or that they can achieve with the help of an elder care provider.
Use these tips to help your parent cope with the pain of arthritis during the summer months:
- Head to the water. Water is a wonderful place for your parent to stay active during the summer months. Not only does the water keep them cooler and more comfortable when the temperatures start to soar, but it also offers physical benefits as well. The water offers resistance that helps to strengthen and condition joints and muscles. At the same time there is a feeling of weightlessness for dramatic reduction in pain and stiffness.
- Try yoga. The colder temperatures of fall and winter can make it seem daunting to try something like yoga, but now that the temperatures are higher, stretching is easier and more comfortable. Encourage your parent to practice this exercise as a way to strengthen their muscles and joints, increase flexibility and range of motion, and promote greater strength and control of the mind.
- Stick to a healthy diet. Many studies indicate that what your parent eats can make a dramatic difference in their experience of arthritis. Encourage them to take advantage of the bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables available during this time of year and to eat a diet that is rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and protein, while staying away from overly processed foods and artificial ingredients.
- Pamper them. A little bit of pampering can go a long way in helping to ease the pain and stiffness of arthritis. This simple soak is a fragrant way to utilize aromatherapy, heat, and water to ease the joints and promote greater flexibility and range of motion. The essential oils are also known for their anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to protect the joints.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup of Epsom salts
- 1/2 of a cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oils
- 2 drops of lavender essential oils
- A medium, microwave safe bowl
- A mixing spoon
- An airtight jar with lid
What to Do
- Put the coconut oil in the microwave safe bowl
- If the oil is in solid form at room temperature, place in the microwave
- Microwave for 30 seconds
- Remove from the microwave
- Add the coconut oil and Epsom salts to the coconut oil
- Mix well
- While still mixing, slowly add in the essential oils
- When the essential oils are added in, carefully add the ground cinnamon and mix well
- Pour the contents into an airtight jar with a lid
- Secure the lid firmly
- When ready to use, remove about half of the mixture and allow to dissolve in a hot bath, and soak for at least 20 minutes
The staff at Home Care Matters is available to talk with you and your family about all of your needs. Home Care Matters is a home care agency providing quality and affordable elder care in Braselton, GA and the surrounding areas. Call (678) 828-2195 for more information.
- Reasons Why Your Elderly Loved One Might Be Lonely - January 21, 2021
- Home Care Matters Announces Our 10-Year Anniversary In 2021! - January 19, 2021
- Bringing Awareness to International Tinnitus Week, Feb 1-7 - January 14, 2021