The holidays are a wonderful time to spend time with loved ones, but if your aging parent is dealing with challenges and limitations, they may not be able to be as involved in the holiday as they used to. As a family caregiver, you want to make sure your senior stays healthy and safe during the holiday celebrations, but this is more than just managing their physical needs. You must also keep in mind their mental and emotional well-being. This means finding ways to help them feel involved and important at all stages of the Thanksgiving holiday.
Some ways you can help your senior feel involved and important during Thanksgiving include:
- Talk to them about the menu and get their opinions. If you always have nearly the same meal, ask if they have any variations they want to try, or which foods are their absolute favorite so you can make sure they are included.
- Ask them for family recipes or to help you make specific dishes they enjoy. Even if they are only able to assist with small elements, this helps them to feel validated.
- Encourage them to prepare the home by putting up decorations and setting the table. Recruit younger members of the family to help as well for a good bonding activity.
- Plan activities such as crafts your parent can do with the children of the family. This gives them the chance to interact with these young members and builds memories for both generations. Choose a craft they enjoy or that allows them to teach a special skill they have.
- Talk to your parent about their Thanksgiving memories. Share with them the things you remember about holidays when you were younger, and share treasured moments with family who may no longer be around.
- Be sure your senior is sitting at a place at the table where they can be easily involved in conversation and passing food around to the family.
Keeping your senior’s quality of life at its highest as they age in place is your goal as a family caregiver, and home care can help you achieve that. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging parent when it’s best for them, and for you, to ensure they always get exactly what they need. Meeting your parent’s personal needs, empowering them to manage their health, and supporting their independence are not the only ways home care can help. Your senior having access to this care can also make a tremendous difference in your health, well-being, and quality of life as well. This care can relieve your stress and enable you to focus more on quality time and your relationship with your parent.
The staff at Home Care Matters is available to talk with you and your family about all of your needs. Home Care Matters is a home care agency providing quality and affordable senior care in Buford, GA and the surrounding areas. Call (678) 828-2195 for more information.
- Reasons Why Your Elderly Loved One Might Be Lonely - January 21, 2021
- Home Care Matters Announces Our 10-Year Anniversary In 2021! - January 19, 2021
- Bringing Awareness to International Tinnitus Week, Feb 1-7 - January 14, 2021